Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Excellent but Little Known Medical Conferences

Journalists are pack animals. Where you find one, you tend to find many. This is as true in the world of medical conferences as it is in celebrity coverage.

Hundreds of journalists will register for the big annual meetings such as the American Society for Clinical Oncology, the American Heart Association, and the Radiological Society of North America. Journalists come to these meetings year after year because they’re dependable sources of news on the latest in clinical science.

I cover those big meetings too, but I cover a lot of unheralded meetings as well. I’m the only reporter at the majority of meetings I attend. Many of these meetings are interesting only to physicians within a narrow subspecialty. But many of them have much more general interest, and are productive sources for news of solid clinical advances.

Here’s a list of the meetings I’ve attended within the last five years that were especially productive and at which I was the only reporter, or one of a small handful of reporters. I’ve added a bit of commentary on some of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

would you be interested in posting our conference? IFATS 2008 - International Federation of Adipose Therapeutics and Science, www.ifats08.org

Bob Finn said...

Your conference certainly meets the "little known" criterion, but I have no idea whether it's excellent, since I've never covered it.

Other Posts on this Blog